Author Topic: Draenor Saved; Vortex completes 13/13 Mythic, defeating Archimonde!  (Read 6207 times)

Ketheres

• Vortex Casual
  • Active Account
  • That Sexy Boomkin
    • View Profile
It is my great honor to be able to officially announce our completion of a raid tier/expansion for the first time during my long stay at Vortex!  This expansion marked a lot of firsts for us, a lot of challenges stood in our way.  This was our first expansion as a mythic raiding guild coming from a considerably smaller 10-man guild, and I am extremely proud to say we have been unquestionably successful!

(Image courtesy of Ramabyte)

There is no doubt that the lead up to Archimonde was nothing short of epic, and all parts of this fight maintain that feel.  This boss was not one we wiped the most to, even when counting many "failed-start" wipes due to our extremely strict phase one requirements.  We clocked in just under 200 pulls, when all was said and done we had more wipes to both Gorefiend and Mannoroth than Archimonde.

Even still, we asked for no quarter and none was given from Archimonde.  At each stage of this fight there are new challenges to deal with and it all comes together for the traditional brand new third phase that pits you against familiar and unfamiliar mechanics alike.  As opposed to other difficulties, the entire raid is thrown into the nether immediately at phase three and is faced with a continuing series of Marks of the Legion which must be coordinated and soaked, Conduits which must be placed away from each other, Void Stars and Infernals which must be killed quickly and cleanly, and if that wasn't enough tanks aren't left out with Sources of Chaos to deal with!

Despite our very strict execution and number intensive strategy, we powered through the early attempt wipes and made steady progress on this fight each night.  With consistency in mind, we got the experience at later parts of the fight to scrape through to the end.  And scrape through we did!  As with many of Vortex's first end boss kills we got through only just barely, but the only thing that matters in the end is we got the titles, we got the achievements, we got the loot, and we got the prestige.

However, ultimately for all the praise I have for everyone here who has made Vortex great inside and outside of raiding, when I think about it, the old words say it the best.

Vortex is comprised of some very good players, but I wouldn't say that we're the best. As with most things in life, there's always someone better around. But where we're nearly unbeatable is our mental toughness and our ability to play like a team - to put the team's success ahead of that of the individual. It's pretty easy to judge when someone has the skill necessary to compete on the highest level, but it's far harder to figure out when they've got the mental resilence to hang on through the tough times and keep going. I'm grateful that we've been fortunate enough to find a bunch of folks who have both traits in abundance. Speaking for myself, it's been an honor to be a part of that team.

But in the end, there's a lot more behind our success than the 10 people present for the kill: the raiders who put in the same time, but had to sit out during the kill; casual members who contributed materials and stepped in to keep our raids going when we ran short; friends and fans of the guild who kept us motivated with their cheers and well-wishes. We wouldn't have been able to accomplish this without all of you.

What held true before certainly holds true now.  Warlords of Draenor has faced us with challenges we have never experienced before.  With each new challenge we steeled our resolve and powered through it.  The most important part out of all of this, however, is that we did it together as a team, as a family, and as a guild.  We have had many people join our guild as raiders, as members, we have had many people leave due to life and it's many twists, and we have had many people stay with us throughout the years.  To everyone who has been a part of Vortex right now, in the past, or in the future: Thank you for being a part of this, thank you for letting me be a part of this community.

Congratulations to everyone, great work from beginning to end!  Now let's start looking forward to finishing the fight with the Legion!

Watch our (very clean) first kills here:

Milky (Restoration Shaman)

Echostrike (Arms Warrior)

Litto (Fury Warrior)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:54:03 PM by Scythe »

Echostrike

• Vortex Raider
  • Active Account
    • View Profile
Re: Draenor Saved; Vortex completes 13/13 Mythic, defeating Archimonde!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
- I love the twinkle in my eye.
- Boss needs more soothes.
- I went Arms for that fight!
- Litto is a furry. Extra furry.
- Can confirm. Official kill. I died doing mechanics.

Ketheres

• Vortex Casual
  • Active Account
  • That Sexy Boomkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 01:29:38 PM »
- I went Arms for that fight!

Whoops, sorry!  I have it updated.  Wowprogress had you listed as fury.  I had thought you were arms but went there for confirmation.

Mara

• Vortex Casual
  • Active Account
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 02:08:04 PM »
ALL MY GRATS TO YOU GUYS!

I was actually on the last boss fight in a heroic dungeon on my DK when the kill achieve messages came through; I remember stopping dead in the middle of it and shouting "WOW HOLY SHIT!", then came back to reality to finish tanking so my group wouldn't wipe, lol.

Even though I'm not a mythic raider, I am so proud to call myself a member of Vortex! Not only because of this incredible achievement or progress, but also because every single person I interact with is an awesome, mature, respectful human being and that makes it extra fun to be back playing WoW!

Many pride
So feels

Serjien

• Vortex Casual
  • Active Account
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »
Congrats again guys and gals! It sure is super exciting to kill the last boss of an expansion.

I wish you great success in the next expansion!

/cheers

Serj
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan

Litto

• Vortex Casual
  • Active Account
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:59:25 AM »
 The Story of Archimonde.

I found this quite entertaining.

Metsu

• Vortex Casual
  • Active Account
  • 1 Tank No Heals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
Fantastic work Vortex! Keep on keeping on!

Really

• Vortex Casual
  • Active Account
  • Listen Linda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »

On it. I'll have to work with Herc on his soothing skills.

Kaelynn

• Vortex Raider
  • Active Account
  • Rabid Tree, Rawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »

Kaelynn: Oh, that wasn't in the AA or strats!  Dang. Okay.
Kaelynn starts to sing a lullaby.

Archimonde realizes the druid is singing Siren songs meant to lure him to his death.
Archimonde gains [Enhanced Enrage].
Kaelynn: Damnit.